Greetings Windows Phone developers!
One of the fun things of being a Nokia Developer Ambassador is running contests. I love the Windows Phone developer community and I love giving away free stuff. So here I am, kicking off February with a bang for the developers in my region. This includes the states of NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, WV & KY. If you do not live in those states, be sure to check the promotions by your own Ambassador. The full list can be found here.
How to Participate in the Contest
Simple: Build a new Windows Phone app! Here are the criteria:
- You must live (and your DevCenter account must be registered) in one of the following US States: NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, WV & KY. No exceptions. I will ask for verification evidence if you win something.
- You must must build a brand new app for Windows Phone 8 or Windows Phone 7.8, NOT an update to an existing app (though we always encourage you to update existing apps too).
- The app must first be published between February 1st and February 28th 2014.
- This contest is available for new and existing Windows Phone developers.
- You must build a real app, no crapware please. It doesn’t have to be a complicated app but it must have real value. I will be the final judge. No arguments.
- Your app must have at least 5 reviews by March 8 2014, with an average of 4+ stars.
Once your app is live and meets the downloads & ratings criteria above, send me your entry via my Contact Me form here. Please include the following in your entry:
- Subject: ActiveNick’s February Nokia Giveaway
- Your name
- Your city & state
- Your preferred email
- Your DVLUP username (sign-up here if you do not have one)
- Link to your app
What You Can Win
At the end of February (only 28 days, act fast) I will compile the names of all the participants and draw names randomly
- 5x Nokia Lumia 800 smartphones (Black, GSM US bands, carrier unlocked, upgradeable to Windows Phone 7.8)
- 5x DVLUP-branded Wenger Swiss Gear backpacks
- 1x JBL MD-51 PlayUp Portable Wireless Speaker for Nokia – Black
- 10x NFC “Testing Kits” (1x programmable NFC card and 5 DVLUP-branded NFC stickers)
- 5x Reward Cards worth 250 points to spend on DVLUP rewards
I will do the drawing on March 8 2014 to allow enough time for late entries to reach the 5 required reviews. I will notify the winners via email.
Sounds good? Now go build some apps. Remember that your app must be published and in the Windows Phone Store by February 28 2014.
How Do I Get Started?
If you’ve never built a Windows Phone app before, visit my Getting Started page for a whole set of resources to get you started.
- If you already received/won/earned a free Lumia 800 from me (or my predecessor) as part of the “Build your First App” promotion in 2013, you are not eligible to win another Lumia in this contest. However you are still eligible for the other prizes.
- Apps entered in this contest cannot be combined with other promotions I might run in the region.
- Don’t try to fake your location to participate in this contest. I will find out.
- By entering this contest you agree to my terms of service.
Is this a Microsoft or a Nokia promotion?
This is a Nokia promotion available for all Windows Phone developers in the following US states only: NY, NJ, PA, DE, MD, DC, VA, WV & KY.
Can I choose my prize?
No. I will assign the prizes at random when I do the drawing on March 8 2014.
Can I build an app with Microsoft App Studio?
Yes you can, but try to apply yourself to make it a nice one. Build something real around a common theme, don’t just throw a bunch of random links together and call it a day, otherwise I’ll throw your app in the “crapware” category. And remember that you’ll need to reach the 100 downloads and 5 ratings milestones to qualify.
Can I build an app with PhoneGap?
Yes, as long as the app is also published in the Windows Phone Store. If you want to target many App Stores, PhoneGap can be a good alternative.
Will I get more than one entry in the contest if I build more than one app?
Totally, yes! The more apps you publish, the more chances you have to win. You can even win more prizes! But you can only win ONE prize of each category (i.e. one phone, one backpack, etc.)
Can I enter the contest by updating an older app?
No. Though we always encourage you to update existing apps, this contest is only for new apps.
Will I still get DVLUP xp for my new app?
Of course! All Windows Phone apps are eligible for DVLUP challenges as long as you’re in a supported country.
Can I build a Windows 8 app instead?
You can, but it won’t be eligible for this contest. This Nokia promotion is only for new Windows Phone apps.