by Nick Landry
The “Blue Wave” is in full swing. Thanks to the new Universal Windows app templates in Visual Studio 2013 Update 2, it is now easier than ever to build mobile apps for both Windows Store and Windows Phone. Developers are curious about the new features and I’ve been touring around speaking at events to spread the word about Universal Windows apps.
This session is your fast track into the wonderful new world of app development for Windows device. Come learn how your valuable C# skills now make you a hot mobile developer for smartphones, tablets, laptops and desktops. We’ll perform a quick lap around Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and the new Windows Universal Apps, build our first app using XAML & C#, and debug it with Windows 8.1 and the Windows Phone Emulator. We’ll then explore the converged WinRT API services and features, such as touch input, accelerometers, Live Tiles, etc. We’ll also spend valuable time going over the new app model for Windows device apps, how to share code between phone and tablet, and how to build a converged UI in XAML for Windows 8.1 and Windows Phone. Lastly we’ll go over the app packaging and how to submit your Universal apps to the Windows Store. The converged Windows Platform is more efficient and far-reaching than ever. Come learn how to build mobile apps for hundreds of millions of Windows device users.
You can view & download the slides for this talk from my Slideshare account here, or you can use the embedded viewer below.
You can download the demos and samples for this session using the links below:
- Universal Windows App Samples “Mega Pack”: Over 75 samples in XAML/C#, XAML/VB, XAML/C++ or HTML/JS
- Contoso Cookbook Universal Windows Sample App
- Windows 8.1 Speech Synthesis Sample
- Windows 8.1 XAML Hub Control Sample
Session Links and Resources
- Windows Phone Dev Center: http://dev.windowsphone.com
- Windows Store Dev Center: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/apps
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 Update 2
- Learn More About Windows Phone Dev via Official Microsoft Videos
- Microsoft //build/ 2014 Sessions
- All sessions with slides and videos: http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2014/
- 2-509: The New Windows Phone Application Model (Andrew Clinick)
- 2-507: Developing Apps using the Common XAML UI Framework (Tim Heuer)
- 3-591: Using Visual Studio to build XAML Universal Apps (Navit Saxena)
- 2-516: What About XAML UI and Controls? (Shawn Oster)
- 3-541: From 4 to 40 inches: Developing Windows Applications across Multiple Form Factors (Peter Torr)
- Microsoft Virtual Academy
- Windows Store Apps Development: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/product-training/product-windows-store-apps
- Windows Phone Development: http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.com/product-training/windows-phone
- Shared Project Reference Manager (VSIX)
If you have questions about this session, you can ask them in the comments section below or contact me on Twitter at @ActiveNick. If you’re interested in inviting me to present this talk at your event or meetup, you can reach me via my contact form here.